its a simple render test of maya sprites in arnold and renderman Studio. it uses a simple noise pattern on a 2d ramp with 2d ramp displacement. one simple noise plugged into a ramp can give a really complex shading behaviour. the extreme displacement come from a simple ramp, this give the smoke more depth.
for learning reason, i did a little lighting and shading test in modo601. i get the model from 3drender.com (free models created for lighitng contest).
i created all shader, ligthing and same texutres. modo have powerful renderer, but it needs a lot more feature missing to keep lighting artists life easier. there is lots creative issues to adress. specular on the bananas are wrong etc…. if have time i work on it more and more etc….
i was playing around woth the idea to use a 3d-software package to create pixel retro style renderings. I got good results in Houdini. i using SDF volume to scatter point and instance Geometrie on it. this is very flexible. it allows me to use textured character to colorize the “pixels”.
the nice things about it i can use all rigging and modeling stuff, which 3d-software have to offer. is also allows me to use shadow and other shader tricks to create the look. right in opengl viewport, i can design the Retro-design in realtime. i even can mix it up with non-pixlized object, (examples: for the eyes)
i’ve played around with shaders in houdini and pick up an old idea, which one of my last productions. a displacement shader for fracture pieces.
this shader allows me to use pre-fracture geo and add extra displacement only in inside structure without adding high polycount to my geo. this works really good for concrete surfaces.
this version of the shader displace also the edge on the cracks. this works good on dynamic fracturing. for pre-factured, i used a “forEach” node to acitvate the displacement on impact time, otherwise you will see the cracks before the impact.
starting some concept modeling and look development for new short movie i have in my mind.
modeled in modo. same rendering are done in modo and same in houdini. i’ve decided to animation and rendering in houdini. the package have much more controls and mantra produce motionblur with no extra render time. this is a import factor because i am playing to everything on my imac.
i’ve started new project to create procedural shapes from scratch. i was playing with tan, cos and sin math, inside houdini’s VEX editor. the result: is a kind of spiral.
then i instanced it with cubes with cosine driven size, inspired by friend of mine, Gero Wortmann. also, i did some rendertest with mantra but is was really slow compare to modo. so, i’ve import everything and rendered it with modo. the rendertimes, its about a couple of seconds.
i will try to go on and pull out more complex shapes and push the result to fractal complex shapes like mandelbrot-fractals –>the picture below
the 3d fractals like the mandelbulb takes insane amount of processor power this days. i will try to keep the datasets in manageable area and fast rendertimes.
i’ve created the images below with andriod app: fractiod
testing different methods for houdini to modo pipeline. first try with alembic. modo have great render engine. it renders this tests in few secondes on my slow imac. (In fullHD) but modo does not support velocity in cache files.
—>i have to come up with work arounds or write same scripts / tools .
its simple test for mud and snowtrails. i trying to recreate to old “renderman-deepopacity-displacement trick”.
instead of using a displacement shader with craps depth-information from a light. i rendering sperate passes and use nuke with timeecho node and expressions to create a animated displacement maps for the trails.
p style=”text-align:center;”>i am trying to create with python a one-renderpass workflow like with the smart rendermanshader setup in maya
p style=”text-align:center;”>the displacment map out of nuke
here quick testshot with the fire demon… to see how it works in production… still there are same bugs in rig to fix and the character needs a lot of fine tunning and i have working on look… the background was created with my own particle tools in maya which i build a couple weeks ago…
i´ve started a private project… i trying to build a action scene with a heavenly fluids driven character. the Inspiration comes form concepts books of warcraft tradings card (by blizzard entertainment) and dungeon and dragons monster books. here is the rig for the character, the shape of body are complete created with maya fluids.
the rig controls every movment and extra keyable control´s for fire-speed, flamesize and extra release fire to get more expression out of the character. i´ve seperate the fire into 30 different fluids containers to keep the cache small and get more control over the character shapes, i also have reorganzied the caches-system to knock down the size of the caches files again for each shot. now, with cached fluids the character can easy animated and the viewport feedback is not too bad.
p style=”text-align:center;”>here is a little test…. the waterfall rendered by my toolbox in maya as texture and projected and displaced in nuke on a plane… it works for a couple of shots….. fast and easy…. good base for 3d matte paintings… for the closer shots into the waterfall i´ll need detail rendering direct out of maya and renderman
i am finish my waterfall-toolbox in maya…. and i´ve got now a rendered sequence.
now i am trying to get my waterfall into a mattepainting…
here is the first wip…. i have to work on the waterfoam…
check the mov file
i am testing different shadings in renderman for my waterfall-scene….
the new renderman for maya works very well with my new shaders….
a lots points particles and displaced primitiv.spheres…
here are few frames in motion with alles layer in one exr file…